Monday, September 17, 2012

Bullying

Writing about Bullying

I have been interested, as some of you already know, in creating a digital book that will me new media at its best.  One of the important things about this book is what it is about.  I choose to write a story about bullying.  Therefore, I chose to spend some time on it for my final project.  The website I chose for this blog is www.stopbullying.gov


The home page encourages the visitors to start click on links as the links are the quickest way to get information to answer questions about bullying.  As a matter of fact each link is full of the information relating to the link.  The links on the information pages are mostly contained to the site.  There are a few key words that are liked to outside sites that relate to the key word.  For example say you go to Related topics under the What Is Bullying tab and click on the word stocking.  It directs you to www.victimsofcrime.org.  There is also a link like this for teen dating.  But most of those links go to another page in the home site.  Some of the links that direct to other pages are noted as additional resources.

The site is designed to get you started and then guide you to other related information on other pages within the sight.  You can jump out of this line by clicking on a link on the top and following a different line at any time.  Most of the links open in the same window, while a few open in new windows.  It's kind of like a maze that you are doing on a sheet of paper where you can chose to follow a different line at any time.

3 comments:

Megan said...

There were lots of links on your site. It looks like it will be a very good resource.

Branden said...

I'm noticing that a lot of sites typically stick with links that go to somewhere else within their site. Your chosen site did this, as did mine. I am much less of a web junkie than I used to be, but I remember web pages back in the day being FULL of links to other pages. Maybe it's the type of pages that I look at now.

I just did a little experiment with a few sites that I used to frequent years and years ago. One site, gorillamask.net (I wouldn't recommend looking at it! Lot's of not safe for work content), still has a ton of links to other sites. Most of these seem to be partner sites. I can only speculate as to the types of agreements that these sites make with each other. It may be as simple as saying "hey, I'll link to your site if you link to mine". But it could also be a little more complicated, with each click to the outside site netting a small sum for the linking site.

Sorry, that was wordy, but I hope it made sense.

Shirley S Page said...

No, it totally made sense. I've noticed the same thing. The website where I used to work only linked to two outside sources and only because they are members of those organizations and therefore have permission. I also have noticed that the sites I have searched recently that link to outside sources are usually databases that specialize in searching for info from other sources like Ask.com but more specific to a single topic.

Post a Comment

 

Team Two Totality © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner