Sunday, October 7, 2012

iPhone 5 on YouTube!

Enthusiastic Apple fans like to think of themselves as a very "creative" type of people.  The valiant will argue that the Apple products help them to expand their creativity and create whatever their minds can conjure up.  These theories were proven true as I looked through the various fan-videos for the iPhone 5 on YouTube. 

I knew that I would see some pretty creative things, but what I found was that the "die-hards" have a great deal of time on their hands!  I found everything from CG concept videos that were created as speculation prior to the release if the new iPhone to "drop tests" done with the iPhone 5 and its closest competitor, the Samsung Galaxy SIII once the phone had been released. 

The most common videos done by amateurs currently are "un-boxing" videos of their new iPhones.  This is to give a first-look of the phone as they unpackaged it for the very first time.  It is very painful to watch for those who have not yet got their iPhones, given that they are back-ordered for over a month right now!  Other videos include comparisons with older iPhone models as well as with other brands of advanced smart phones. 

Picking one of my favorites to post on the blog was actually very difficult! I narrowed it down to three videos.  I'll post first place below, but I think it's only fair to mention second and third place here. 

Third place was a prank done where a man dressed up as an Apple employee, and would walk by lots of different lines of anxious fans waiting in line the night before the release.  He had a stack of "boxes of iPhones" on a dolly that he was wheeling toward the store.  As he stopped to ask some of the fans if they were excited, he would accidentally stop the dolly too quickly and the boxes would fall.  It was so funny to see some of the people's reactions, who just thought their new iPhones had been broken.  That video can be seen here.

Second place was a drop test done on a cobblestone pathway.  This was a test done using the new iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy SIII.  It's very interesting.  The man performing the test drops both phones from 3 different heights (the waist pocket, mid-torso, and the ear).  I was surprised to see that the Galaxy screen cracks on the second drop, and the iPhone 5 screen never cracks.  It's actually quite fascinating to see.  This video can be seen here.

First place I will show below because I think it was the most creative and probably took the creator the most time.  This is a concept video created before the iPhone 5 had ever been announced.  It is a video portraying what this fan hopes to see in the new iPhone or at least in a coming iPhone.  Although the only feature that was true is the new thin design, it is awesome to see what he has done with computer graphics and his imagination.  Enjoy! :)

3 comments:

Shirley S Page said...

I agree, your number one video was amazing. The fan(s) clearly had too much time on their hands, but the concepts are really cool. I looked at the other videos that you gave links for and they were interesting. I found the prank to be hilarious. I would have been funny for any product that had a line. I could even see it as funny if people were waiting for a movie and they thought it was the movie reels or something. The drop test was also interesting. It made it clear what is the better phone.

I noticed that all three of the videos had professional finish to them, especially the concept video. The cameras were not bouncy and the editing was well though through. Were there any videos that were not so well put together?

Branden said...

Oh yeah! comments! Almost forgot.

Your last video really spoke to me, because I'm one of those people that will dream up cool new technologies. I certainly don't have the skills to create a video like you posted, but you should see the kind of crap that is floating around in my mind!

Shirley, to touch on your comment... It's amazing what "fan videos" can look like these days. I mean, you can get amazing quality video from cheap cameras these days, and video editors are a dime a dozen. The trick is learning how to use a cool special effects program, like After Effects. I assume that is what the concept features video did. I have friends who have created videos and put special effects in them with After Effects and the result is AMAZING.

In fact, I've heard of total amateurs getting movie deals from major studios because they create something amazing with their amateur equipment. These days, it doesn't require millions of dollars worth of equipment to make a studio quality movie! It just takes a great vision and some artistic ability.

Shirley S Page said...

Makes sense. I never mess with stuff like this so I don't know how it works. I have iMovie on my computer, maybe I get to see what it will do.

Post a Comment

 

Team Two Totality © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner