Sunday, October 7, 2012

Grammar Videos

OK, this one was pretty fun.

Not surprisingly, I found several videos that were about "grammar nazis". I mean, YouTube is all about funny videos, right? And the "grammar nazi" angle is one of the only ways that you can be funny when it comes to grammar. The other videos I found were strictly educational in nature. You know, boring videos that look like you are sitting in a college class. There isn't much to say about the educational videos, other than the fact that they were created by some grammar enthusiasts with very little production value.

The humorous videos, on the other hand, were all over the place as far as production value goes. There were some videos that looked like a 13 year old kid made them with his phone, and others that were literally shown on the Disney channel. (The Disney one was absolutely awful, by the way). Like I said, a majority of them went with the "grammar nazi" theme. Most of these videos followed a similar story line: somebody doesn't use proper grammar and is rebuked by someone else (the "grammar nazi"). I should note here that I pretty much hated all the so-called humorous videos that I found. The "grammar nazi" angle is pretty well-worn, and there are only so many ways that you can go with it.

One that did make me laugh, however, still went with the "grammar nazi" theme, but kind of had a more literal take on it. First, a little context. This video is one of many "Hitler rant" videos that I have seen. The footage is from a movie about Hitler, but the subtitles are made up. I don't know when the first of these parodies was made, but a few notable examples include "Hitler reacting to the Kanye West vs Taylor Swift VMA moment", "Hitler getting banned from XBOX live", and "Hitler reacting to Usain Bolt setting the 100M record". Same video clip, different captions. So here is the grammar one. WARNING: There are a few swears! (In text only).



Funny right? I liked it. So this is a meme, only in video form. I found it interesting that we didn't discuss too many video memes in class (besides the Rick Roll, really)... But there are quite a few of them out there.

So there you go. Who would have thought you could find humorous parodies that involve the topic of grammar?

4 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

I'm surprised you didn't include a Schoolhouse Rock. They're my favorite.

Shirley S Page said...

I agree, Schoolhouse Rock is awesome, but I get why you didn't include it. It can be so cliche. I did find the video that you included funny. I like how the king of all nazis goes off on other nazis for calling him out on his grammar, then "It's not easy being a Nazi." Wow.

I can't believe how much we end our sentences with preposition. It's getting to where it looks funny to see prepositions used correctly in writing because it is so common place to end with a preposition.

Megan said...

Hah, I loved that. I catch myself ending sentences with prepositions way too often. And I thought I had seen all of the Hitler videos in existence, but this one was new to me. It was great, and the application was perfect. Great find.

Post a Comment

 

Team Two Totality © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner