Monday, October 8, 2012

Arrested Development videos

Nearly all of the videos I found are manipulations of official media- some are poorly ripped from DVDs or online streams of the show.

Many are compilations, like best of the show, best of a character, or scenes relating to a certain theme.









Some are set to music, like this one to the "Mahna Mahna" song (popularized by the Muppets) with "Mahna Mahna" replaced by people saying the name of one particular character.




These last two are great. Like every other mature adult in North America, my favorite song this summer was the complex and artful "Call Me Maybe," by Carly Rae Jeppeson. Luckily, Arrested Development has a character named Maeby. One video is short clips of the show set against the song's tune to make the characters "sing" it. The other is set to the original version of the song and showcases George Michael's crush on his cousin Maeby. (I know, I know, but trust me, its funny.)





Nearly all the videos I found are intended to be humorous. I think the cultish nature of the show led to the creation of some of the videos- fans wanted a way to keep it alive in some way and contribute to the continued cultural relevance of the show. The final broadcast episode aired in February of 2006 and people are still recycling the content in new ways over six years later.

2 comments:

Shirley S Page said...

Your videos were all humorous. They were clearly done by amateurs but most of them were done well. It is interesting that people are still coming up with new fan videos six years later. I don't know of very many shows that have lasted so long. I know that Star Trek still has their yearly fling in Los Vegas every year, but that seems to be different in that it is in person and not on the internet and there are still shows on the air relating back to the original Star Trek.

Unknown said...

After watching all of those, I must say my favorite was the compilation of the greatest moments with Tobias Funke. When I've watched Arrested Development, he's always been my favorite character. Whoever made that video clearly saw his comical genius and exemplified that! Second place for me was the very first "Call Me Maybe" video. That must have taken that fan FOREVER to make! I can't even imagine the work that must have gone into that video. They would have had the scripts of every episode, found all the individual words of the lyrics and compiled them to the timing and beat of the music. That one was seriously impressive. There's so many Arrested Development videos out there, I think you did an awesome job finding a small sampling of the best ones and presenting them to us. Good job! :)

Post a Comment

 

Team Two Totality © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner